What Do You Say About This Arbalet?

rapsod

In fact the problem around birke's first question is not the re-arming of the blue part, but the re-arming of the nut : when the string has left the nut, there is neither a protruding element nor a spiral spring on the nut to make it turn clockwise.

For the second item, I suppose that it may be a reinforcement of the nut in the area where it is most stressed. I agree with this part of the design.

Nevertheless, I think that your design is too complicated for the purpose even with a high draw strength bow. You should preferably refer to the mecanism of my Barnett crossbow which has been sketched by Jihaif in this post : http://webarcherie.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5592 I can testify that this mechanism is able to hold a 175lbs bow :bhaoui..:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice design Rapsod!

Answering to Birke, I think rearming is done automatically by the action of the "spiral spring". When nut rotates clockwise by action of the crossbow string, the dark blue piece, tumbler, locks on the nut and the trigger to. So, according to Birke about the part of drawing he shows by the circle, I've modified the original drawing to adapt to my cinematic point of vue.

May be I'm wrong?

The spiral spring must be fited to reset the tumbler in the dark blue position.

Adding the "nut finger" will make easier rotation of nut by string pushing.

dtenteanglaisjpeg3ro.jpg

Edited by Jihaif

Well, Ishi78 said everything.

There is mising part in this design and it is stoper (little black circle) that stops a blue part. :107: Why? Because spiral sping can turn nut in wrong direction!!!

In Jihaif desing there is no need for that because nut finger do that function.

How to return nut? With finger. There is enough friction between wood and nut to stop nut as it pases the flat surface of crossbow. If there is not enough friction than a piece of skin is put between wood and nut.

The nut finger is not good because it can make big bang when it hit wood and lieve deep mark. What if surface of crossbow is made of cow bones? Nut finger could break it.

Who say 175 libres? How about 500 libres (over 250 kg or prcisely spiking 2500 N)? Real siege crossbow for head cuting. :10:

What program do you use for drawing. I use corel draw 12.

Answering to Birke, I think rearming is done automatically by the action of the "spiral spring".

Sorry Rapsod. The idea I wanted to develop was:

"Answering to Birke, I think LOCKING is done automatically by the action of the "spiral spring". So, I drew a new mortise in the nut in this way.

I drew "the nut finger" only to facilitate rearming.

I agree with you for damages made by the hit of this nut finger on the wood of the tip.

Are you sure to keap a constant friction strength of the nut for stopping his rotation after a lot of shots?

No. That is problem. :huh: Maybe make a nut as yo-yo with spiral spring (like in clock) in center. I forgot name of site but it was like 19......./crossbows/crossbows.htm. In that site nut is fix with simple binding. Maybe that binding act as return spring for nut. I try to draw it today and post it later.

I try to use Gimp for drawing (it is free) but I needed something that do vector grapfic. Than is much easier to project stuff. So I get pirat version of Corel and it is 10 times better than autocad2005. :pirate:

Rapsod :demonban: Yeah baby,can I play with madness!!!

Edited by rapsod

A real spiral spring like clock-making will be the best solution you're right but I don't know if we can find this kind of spring easily and strong enough for a crossbow use?

An other solution can be solved by making springs with piano strings.

For nut feedback, I propose to you this draw:

rapsod1jpeg0eo.jpg

Don't worry Jihaif, no CAD software will ever replace the nice look of your "Paint" drawings. :wub:

Although I may be responsible for this idea at the beginning, I'm now a little mixed up with your spring'd nut : if the nut is set back after string release by this spring (whatever the choice), the string will have to jump over the nut at full draw. So I think that you'd better optimize your first design with a "finger" reduced to its minimal dimension : not protruding from the nut ouside diameter, making a kind of U notch in the nut, so it will be the string itself which should replace the nut in its armed position.

the string will have to jump over the nut at full draw. So I think that you'd better optimize your first design with a "finger" reduced to its minimal dimension : not protruding from the nut ouside diameter, making a kind of U notch in the nut, so it will be the string itself which should replace the nut in its armed position.

Well done Ishi: i'ts THE idea! :29:

I've drawn a new design following your concept.

But if Rapsod want keep the original design, I've "redrawn" the nut spiral spring.

rapsod2jpeg3zi.jpg

Edited by Jihaif

Ok. The nut spring of this type is very good idea!!! Eather idea for "blue part" spring is very good.

I don't think that stop pin is good idea for the same reason the previous finger nut is not good. I will make "bang" when it hit it. Nut will be made of plastic probably so the stop pin could break nut.

I don't know. Is there probability that nut turn more than 90*?

I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :05:

Rapsod

Hello jolly brain stormers ! :37:

Its a pleasure to see your brain steaming that way !

But let me ask a question : why do you want a spring on the nut ?

I don't feel there is need for one and I don't remember having seen any on the drawings and pictures I saw up to now. :100:

If you feel there is a need to brake the nut rotation, I can assure it is useless, mainly because the nut is very light so it has a very small inertia momentum and it will stop as soon as the rope has left the slot.

On the other side, if you have a spring that reset the nut in the armed position, once again you will need the rope to jump over it. :bhaoui..: